UniteBoston Presents: Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
The Week of Prayer for Christian Unity is an international initiative where Christians worldwide are reminded of Jesus’ prayer for his disciples that “they may be one so that the world may believe” (John 17:21).
Locally, UniteBoston is coordinating seven consecutive evening collaborative gatherings of prayer and worship from January 18-25, 2017. This reveals and advances the unity of the Church by bringing together Christians from many different denominations and ethnicities to seek God together.
On the occasion of the 500th anniversary year of the beginnings of the Reformation, the theme “Reconciliation – The Love of Christ Compels Us” (2 Corinthians 5:14-20) has been chosen by the World Council of Churches.
How you can take part:
Please mark your calendars and plan to attend the evening gatherings for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity from January 18-25!
In particular, we encourage you to come out to the “The Love of Christ Compels Us: To Reconcile and to Witness” gathering at Holy Name Church on Saturday January 21st from 12pm to 4pm. This event involves Christians from Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, and Evangelical backgrounds, as well as joint worship, workshops, lunch, and a missions fair!
- Wed Jan 18: 7pm at River of Life Church, 440 Centre Street, Boston MA 02130
- Jamaica Plain Churches, including River of Life Church, Heart Change Fellowship, Bethel AME Church, and the Community of St. Egidio
- Thurs Jan 19: 7pm at St. Mary Orthodox Church, 8 Inman Street, Cambridge MA 02139
- Orthodox Churches, including the Coptic Orthodox Church of Boston and St. Mary’s Orthodox Church
- Fri Jan 20: 7pm at Congregation Lion of Judah, 20 Reed Street, Boston MA 02128
- Pabellon de la Fe Church, Congregation Lion of Judah, and churches involved with Bless the City Boston
- Sat Jan 21: 12 to 4pm at Holy Name Church, 1689 Centre Street, West Roxbury MA 02132
- Theme: “The Love of Christ Compels Us: To Witness and to Reconcile” Joint Ecumenical Gathering, hosted by the Archdiocese of Boston and many local partners – Facebook event link
- Sun Jan 22: 8pm at MIT Chapel, 48 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge MA 02139
- Taize prayer in the MIT Chapel, including MIT Lutheran/Episcopal Ministry
- Mon Jan 23: 7pm at Symphony Church, 971 Commonwealth Ave (3rd floor), Boston MA 02215
- Brookline/Brighton churches, including Symphony Church, City Church, and Abundant Grace Church
- Tues Jan 24: 7pm at the Paulist Center, 5 Park Street, Boston MA 02108
- Catholic/Lutheran joint gathering, including the Paulist Center and University Lutheran
- Wed Jan 25: 5:45pm at Trinity Church, 206 Clarendon Street, Boston MA 02116
- Episcopal Boston/Cambridge Mission Hub gathering, including Trinity Church, Church of the Advent, and others
Click here to download the flyer to display on the wall in your church and place in your bulletin!
We encourage you to go to as many gatherings as possible so that you can experience the beautiful myriad of worship among Christians throughout the city. If you have any questions, contact Kelly Steinhaus, Kelly@uniteboston.com
We are hoping that God will grant the most inclusive, full-spectrum Week of Prayer for Christian Unity ever in this area, for the sake of Jesus’ own prayer: “Father, that they may be one… so that the world may believe.” (Jn 17:21).
RSVP on FaceBook and invite your friends!