Monthly Reflections from Fr. Antony Hughes
In every edition of our parish's newsletter, Fr. Antony offers a short, but inspiring message to complement the activities, minsitries, and current events of the life of the church. Below is a collection of these messages.
V. Rev Antony Hughes, Pastor
Fr. Antony Hughes has been pastor of St. Mary’s since 1993 when he came to Cambridge with Carol and his sons, Alexander and Gregory, from a parish in California. He received his MDiv from Oral Roberts University where he converted to Orthodoxy in 1980 and continued his education at St. Vladimir’s Seminary.
Rev.Read more »
Written on the occasion of the Golden Anniversary
of St. Mary's founding, October 1978.
The Church of St. Mary's came into existence in 1928. It was founded by a group of families who had been parishioners of the Church of St. John of Damascus. This energetic group of families banded together to further the growth of the Orthodox Faith. These faithful and courageous individuals formed and organized the Antiochian Society of St.Read more »
St. Mary's acquired the church house of the First Universalist Church in 1954. It is the second oldest church building in Cambridge, having been built in 1821. St. Mary's Parish is located at 8 Inman Street, however, the church building originally graced the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Main Street, approximately one half-mile from its current location. The Universalist congregation had moved the entire building from its original location in the latter decades of the 19th century (the reason for this move is lost in the mists of history).Read more »
On Inman Street in Cambridge, St. Mary's Orthodox Church is an intriguing and complex religious institution.Read more »